Insurance

AARP
AETNA HEALTHCARE/GLOBAL BENEFITS
CIGNA Commercial
CIGNA GWH PPO
EMPIRE BCBS (Commercial, Mediblue)
GHI
MEDICARE RAILROAD & Medicare
MERITAIN HEALTH
NYS EMPIRE PLAN (UHC Top Tier)
OSCAR
OXFORD (Freedom Only)
OXFORD/UHC COMMERICAL
OXFORD/UHC COMPASS (Dr. Wolinsky only)

Cancellation Policy

We schedule our appointments so that each patient receives the right amount of time to be seen by our physicians and staff. That’s why it is very important that you keep your scheduled appointment with us, and arrive on time.

Berkowitz Dermatology employs staggered patient’s intake which allows our patients to keep social distance. As a courtesy, and to help patients to remember their scheduled appointments, our office will call you with the reminder in advance of the appointment time.

If your schedule changes and you cannot keep your appointment, please contact us so we may reschedule you, and accommodate those patients who are waiting for an appointment. As a courtesy to our office as well as to those patients who are waiting to schedule with the physician, please give us at least 24 hours notice.

If you do not cancel or reschedule your appointment with at least 24 hours notice, we may assess a $50.00 “no-show” service charge to your account. This “no-show charge” is not reimbursable by your insurance company. You will be billed directly for it.

Insurance Policy Information

Berkowitz Dermatology charges for all office visits as well as any services provided during the office visit, separately. Therefore if you have an injection or another type of procedure during your visit we will bill for each of those charges individually. If any of these services are denied by your insurance or subject to the terms of your insurance coverage like coinsurance or deductible, you may receive additional bills above what you had initially expected.

Please note, as one of our valued patients and policy holders, it is your responsibility to understand the coverage guidelines of your insurance and pay for these services if the need arises.

Most insurance have a deductible and coinsurance, separate from copayments. We don't bill these charges until AFTER the insurance processes the claim. If you have a deductible and/or coinsurance on your policy, you will receive a bill a short time after your visit with us.

We understand insurance plans and policies can be very confusing. To help clarify the basics of the insurance coverage process and three main functions of related costs, please see below for a brief explanation of what a copay, deductible and coinsurance is.

Copay
A copay is a designated flat fee you pay toward medical services such as office visits. For each office visit, a specialist copay does apply. This is your initial payment for service, no matter what your visit is for. Please note that your copay will be collected at the time of your visit.

Deductible
This is the portion of your medical expenses for covered services that is not covered by a copay and you are responsible for 100%, until you reach your deductible. Similar to car insurance, should you pay your deductible and then insurance kicks in to help pay for the reminder. Please note, you will receive a bill for any portion of your unmet deductible AFTER the insurance processes the claim. Please note, deductibles typically resets at the beginning of each calendar year.

Coinsurance
When you reach your deductible, you may have to pay a percentage of the remaining costs-this is the coinsurance amount. Let’s say you have a policy with 20% coinsurance. That means the insurance company will pay 80% of covered services after your deductible has been met and you pay the remaining 20%. Please note, you will receive a bill for any applicable coinsurance AFTER the insurance processes our claim.

We encourage all of our patients to contact your insurance carrier to find out more about your individual policy.